Pier A in Battery Park is a very elegant and significant building. Now it’s on the National Register of Historic Places but there was a time when it looked like it would not survive.
Originally built in 1886 it was first used by the NYC Department of Docks and the Harbor Police. It was expanded in 1900 amd in 1911 it’s very beautiful and distinctive clock tower was added as a memorial to all the U.S servicemen who died in the World War 1, the first such memorial in the nation.
It was used later by the FDNY but it languished from 1992, empty and decaying until the current group of lessees undertook it’s rehabilitation. It has now been fitted out as a 28,000 square foot experiential food and beverage destination.
Hurricane Sandy happened before it was finished. so the doors on the first floor have now been designed to be taken out so if there are very high seas the water will just flow through the building rather than batter against it. It’s now one of the most hurricane proof buildings along the waterfront.
The cost of the rehab has been considerable with money from the City, the Battery Park Authority and from the current lessees, amounting to $62 million in all. But now this sturdy and elegant part of New York’s waterfront and an an important part of it’s historical legacy has been saved for all New Yorkers.