Two videos sum it up. There are certain style icons in NYC and Rhianna is one of them. In this first video you see irrefutable proof that she is the Queen of owning it, which is THE basic thing you must do in NYC when it comes to what you wear. No matter what she wears she completely commits to it. Here you see her effortlessly caste every other woman in the shade at this year’s Met Gala with her amazing yellow cloak.
And in the next video you see the other pillar of New York dressing, experiment fearlessly and create your own style. These guys pull it off and that’s why the most famous street photographer in NYC, Bill Cunningham photographs them.
So the first 2 rules are:
1. Whatever you wear own it, always let it be known this is exactly how you mean to look even if you are rocking pygamas in the street.
2. Experiment and create your own personal style. You can keep changing your look but you choose what you want to wear and where. Fashion is something you create not something you follow.
3. Bizarre works, dress like a pizza if that takes your fancy or shave off all your hair and paint a glorious design on your skull, but remember own it.
4. Never let style conquer comfort and vice versa, aim for a great balance that expresses you and your lifestyle.
5. The most important accessories are sunglasses and a bag…. for both guys and gals. Neither have to be expensive they just need to make a statement about you. If you wear jewelry make it simple, remember with all accessories they are there to frame you, not the other way around.
6. There are rules for shoes in NYC especially when you go clubbing, virtually the only place where you’ll get marked down if you don’t conform. Ladies always wear high heels, no matter what else you are wearing. It’s sad you have to suffer but just do it. And guys ditch the sneakers and wear some kind of conservative casual leather: pointy toes, cowboy boots and square toes are out, out, out.
7. Guys when clubbing, in addition to the casual but good leather shoes you’ll be wearing, ditch your business suit and your saggy baggy jeans. Make your look ‘intentional’ you haven’t just rocked up from the office, you mean to look ther way you do. Ladies, this where you are the lucky ones this time around. You might have to wear shoes that will be killing you by 4 am in the morning but as long as you’ve got the high heels on on you can pretty well wear anything you like.
8. Always wear sunglasses and earphones on the subway, it means no one will bother you which is great.
9. Have 3 or 4 pairs of brilliant sneakers. They are the perfect footwear for walking the steets in NYC but these days you can wear them with everything anywhere (except when you’re clubbing) because they have now been upgraded from a perhaps accessory to definitive statement of personal style. You are your sneakers. Shoes are a deeply personal ‘thing’ in NYC always.
10. Perfect personal grooming is a NYC must. You can wear your nails and your hair however, and your smell can be whatever you choose but the rule is make it clear you have chosen it, it has not just happened. A beard, sure, but it is sooo well looked after, shaggy hair but shaggy in a way that only a really good hairdresser can guarantee. And nails, any color or length you like but they’re shiny, not chipped and bitten down.
Sadly Rhianna doesn’t give lessons but look at what demonstrates every time she steps outdoors, a take no prisoners approach to personal style……and that says it all really.