One of the most interesting buildings in NYC is its oldest surviving church and the oldest surviving public building, Saint Paul’s Chapel. It is located at 209 Broadway between Felton and Vesey Streets in Lower Manhattan, not very far from Ground Zero.
It was compelted in 1766 and at the time is was built it was surrounded by fields. It was originally a Church of England church and it has within in it what it thought to be the only surviving symbols of British Rule in NYC. It has an elaborately carved pulpit with a crown at the top with feathers, both symbols of the British monarchy.
The church is simple and elegant in design a very fine example of Georgian architecture though it has some elements of the country in which it was built incorporated within it. Of course it became an Episcopalian church and after the successful Revolutionary war George Washington and members of the Congress worshipped there on his inaugeration day on April 30th 1789.
The church has always played a vivid role in unfolding events in NYC and never more so than from 9/11 onwards. The video does a great job of explaining the role it played post 9/11 as a result of it’s closeness to Ground Zero. It is true to say that from when it was first built to the present day this beautiful church has been central to the lives of New Yorkers.